Some things you might not have known about France and the French



I decided to share some of my many new observations about this country and their culture from my experiences over the past few days. 


1. The French follow a lassiez-faire ("let do") philosophy. Basically meaning they just allow events to take their own course and don't worry about it. And by letting things take their course, that usually means it's slow in American terms.   

2. French people like get there fast and then take it slow. The French live at a very simple and relaxed pace compared to that of Americans, yet, they walk and drive in a manner similar to taxis in NYC. 

3. A 40 hour work week is very unusual. Most restaurants, stores, and offices do not open until 9 am and close fairly early. In addition, all offices and stores are closed for lunch from 12-2 (students even go home from school). On the other hand, if you are looking for somewhere to eat other than 12-2 or 7-10 at night, you will probably end up at McDonald's.

3. The France music scene is very heavily invaded by American artists. We watched a music awards show on TV the other day and artists such a Kat Perry, Akon, Seal, The Pussycat Dolls and Brittney Spears swept away the show. In a café today, we heard Madonna and Aretha
 Franklin. 

4. Many French people are big fans of Barack Obama. Today, we were asked by several excited 
people if we were watching the inauguration tonight. And the news stations have been overflowing all day with the footage and commentary on the ceremonies. 

5. The French university system (or atleast the one we are at) is very unorganized. We are pretty much left to figure everything out on our own and there aren't many people who can answer our questions. We can take any classes we want, we just have to search to see what is available. 
   
6. There was never an Atkins diet in France. The French love their baguettes, croissants, and any other kind of bread. Around every corner, you can find patisseries, boulangeries, cafés, and grocery stores stocked with every shape, size and flavor of bread you could want. I would especially recommend some pain chocolat (chocolate bread). And of course, the same
 goes for cheese!

7. The French are very proud of their culture and appreciate anyone who sincerely tries to be a part of it. When I arrived in Chambéry, I made the mistake of asking at the bus station "Vous parlez anglais?" instead of attempting to ask about my bus in French first. I received a much more helpful answer when I explained my request in French. French government has even passed regulations controlling how much foreign music and language can impede into French culture. 

While none are bad, many of these aspects of French life make things complicated and difficult for an American trying to adjust. Currently, to most of us, everything is confusing and seems impossible to get answers for. I'm sure with time we will get used to it; however, for now it makes for some very interesting experiences. 

Over the past few days, I have been completing paperwork and tasks to get registered at L'Université de Savoie and to get settled in Chambéry. We had a welcome meeting on Monday with our coordinators and they helped us navigate through the steps we would have to take for our stay here and our classes. We took a tour of the 5,000 student campus situated on top of a mountain with a beautiful overlook of the city (but a long walk up). As we were walking up, myself and the 2 others from UT compared it to "The Hill" at UT; however, if it is possible, I think getting to this campus is even worse. I also was given pages and pages of class listing to sort through, all of which start and end at different weeks during the semester. Although some classes started on Monday, the first ones I am interested in taking begin tomorrow and most do not start until February. 

Today we registered with in the university's admissions office and received our student card. In addition, I was able to buy a cell phone and track down some paperwork I needed to open up a bank account and for my housing at Le Foyer Étudiants des Alpes (my permanent residence once it is available on February 1st). 

I really appreciate everyone's comments and thoughtful emails! It means a lot to me to know you all are thinking of me and I enjoy sharing this exciting time with you! 

For now, bon soir mes amis! 
 

0 comments:



Post a Comment