Reflection



5 months in France… It seems like a dream trip, at least it was for me. If you would have asked me a few years ago if I ever thought that I would leave home for nearly half a year, go to a country where I did not know a single person and was barely intermediate at the language, as well as travel all around Europe – I believe my reply would have been “I wish.” I suppose you could say my wish has come true.

And now as I am leaving my time here, I realize the radical impact my experiences will have on my thoughts, actions, and relationships for the rest of my life. I have been to many conferences, conventions and such where I was mixed in with people from all over the US, opened my mind to a variety of different individuals, made great friends for the week, and perhaps kept in touch afterwards. But in the last months- my subconscious worldwide stereotypes, expectations, and ideals have been shattered. With new life-long friendships, experiences in a number of diverse cultures, and time to step away from the life I have known for the last 20 years- I have grown and learned more than I ever thought I would. I have shared my life with wonderful students from all over the world and gained so many new perspectives in return. From the ERASMUS gang to the French students who welcomed me at GACO, I have built the foundation of a global view that only ignites my passion to be immersed in more of what the world has to offer. It has surprised me how many times I was enlightened with the reminder of commonalities that we all share and the appreciation of diversities unique to each person.

I can’t even begin to describe all of the wonderful encounters, conversations and camaraderie the Chambéry crew of 2009 shared. From hanging out at the local spots around town, trekking up to campus and dreading classes, weekend trips, and afternoons in the park- our daily lives became intertwined. My experience was truly an amazing and life changing one, I am so glad that I took the leap to pursue it.

It took me a while to finally get around to posting these last 2 blogs! I have definitely been busy since i returned home with an internship and visiting friends. I wanted to make sure that I didn't leave out my last travels and a little reflection I wrote on my long trip home. I'm enjoying being home but I definitely miss Chambéry as well. I can't wait until my next adventure!

0 comments:



Post a Comment