It started with 700 pairs of shoes


"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" -Romans 10:15

"It’s possible to do justice without worshipping God, but it’s impossible to worship God without doing justice.”


I have continuously been amazed at the way God is working through The Walk college ministry at Sevier Heights. The messages, worship, and small group studies have been so integral in challenging and growing my faith over the past year. Last semester, we partnered with OneVision International to serve 130 children in a Haitian orphanage. The children were housed in an abandoned night club in conditions that would be deemed unacceptable in our culture. In their short lives, these kids have already experienced more poverty, hurt, loneliness, and illness than I will probably ever see in my lifetime.

The Walk's impact on the orphanage began in October when the 1,000 students attending a Wednesday night worship service were unknowingly challenged to immediately sacrifice something that each of us had and that could benefit the people of Haiti in an invaluable way.... our shoes. Over 700 pairs of shoes were laid at the alter of the church that night and over 700 of us walked out barefoot, uncomfortable, and humbled by the overwhelming realization of our privileged lives. God allowed our bare feet to become something truly beautiful as the shoes were delivered by a group of 10 students to the village where the orphanage is in Haiti. Even today, I am stunned as I envision my shoes on the feet of a Haitian villager. My shoes allow relief from the hot, rocky ground and an opportunity for them to experience God's love in the midst of their situation. What now seems like such a small contribution, has been transformed into a lifelong message to me.

The following Wednesday night service, we were asked to give something that we all struggle with as college students- money. The orphanage was in need of a wall to surround its property for protection. It would cost $3,000 to build. Again, God really worked in the hearts and minds of of us who were there and around $7,000 was donated to help the orphanage.

Now, the partnership between The Walk and the orphanage in Haiti continues. Last fall, staff began to plan a large mission trip to Haiti and the orphanage. After praying for many weeks, I knew that God was calling me to be an even greater part of the lives of these orphans and I decided I would join the team. After the earthquake, we were relieved to hear all of the children were safe. Their facilities and supplies, however, were not. And I can't even imagine how it has affected the children mentally and emotionally. Of course the original plans for our group's lodging and work in Haiti have significantly changed, yet we recognize there is an even greater need for our help after the disaster they experienced in January.

There are 40 of us who will be traveling to Haiti with OneVision May 29th- June 5th and I am excited about what we will learn and how we will be used. I think it is an incredible thing that God is allowing me to serve there. I hope you will pray for us and the people of Haiti as our trip unfolds.

The Walk put together an amazing video depicting the service where we donated our shoes and followed the group who delivered them to Haiti. You can watch it here: http://vimeo.com/7452943.

0 comments:



Post a Comment